Monday, September 27, 2010

Run Woodstock – A Journey to the Other Side

I have run a number of ultras this year and recovering from my last 50 so you know what, I thought I’d “kick back” and volunteer. Yikes it was harder than I thought.

7hrs into my 12hr shift (9PM – 9AM) working at Richie Aid Station (AS) I thought I was going to have to DNF! Can you DNF an aid station? Well my feet hurt, toes were numb, my stomach was growling, I was cold and my back hurt, but not necessarily in that order. My co-helpers Zoe and Rachel were similarly afflicted. Thoughts of closing shop and putting up a “Do Not Disturb - Please help Yourselves” sign flashed through my mind. But I dug deep: raided the snacks table when no one was looking, took a shot of coke (no the other kind) and jogged up and down the trail. Phew that was close, I think I can see this through.
Sleepy Zoe
Sleepy Rachel



 Rachel - Master Sandwich Maker
Working an AS gave me a different perspective on the event. As I checked in the safe arrival of runners I could see that there were two sets of brothers running and a father son team and some paternal support.

Pacers Rick and Jeff. Farra and Al
The Miles and Kincaid Brothers
Kyle (21) and Michael: Son and Father
Al D. and Father

Day Break


Call this number to rent your next Yurt?

One less thing to be concerned about : )


N'Gai happy to see Richie AS
One name on the runners log required I speak to the him, “Is your name really Frozen Ed?” A chance remark that lead to a wonderful conversation. Ed has completed the Barkley Marathon Fun run, i.e. 3 loops for 60 miles and has written a definitive guide on how to run this beast “Tales from out there”. I will order a copy as this race is on my wish list of “10 things to do before I die” or should that be “10 things that will probably make me die”?

Frozen Ed

 Coach Bill at work "Please slow down"


Coach Bill "That goes for you as well" : )
Generally a big weekend for RUT-sters. Thoughts of absent friends: Steve running Virgil Crest 100 for which I was receiving text message updates,


and Ken/Mark at the Bear 100 kept me inspired all night. It now seems I find myself each Saturday night thinking “there are ultra folk out there cruising the trails.” I feel part of a collective consciousness.

Apologies if I miss anyone. Farra and Al 1st 100 miler, N’Gai and Cassie 1st 50 miler. Matt 1st 50K 2nd overall missing 1st place by 2mins:40sec, slacker! Congratulation Paula and Matt on your 6th Anniversary.

Happy Anniversary : )
Non RUT-sters that caught my attention: Andrew Colburn 21hrs and change got faster each loop “I don’t know what’s going on but I like : )”, Marc Melville first 100 and winner at 17:17. All amazing demonstrations of: courage, fortitude and basically…Balls. Supreme efforts.

The emotions at the finish were overwhelming. I found myself hugging complete strangers as they crossed the mat. When they started to cry I almost did too, most unexpected, it was really hard not too. The British stiff upper lip was quivering, too many years this side of the pond weakening my resolve. Hugging “strange” women, don’t tell Lindsay, she doesn’t read this any way, but I guess I’ll find out if she does.
Lindsay found out : (
I found myself really getting to know the runners as they looped by Richie AS. It was an honor to act as cheerleader as I saw their headlamps bobbing on their approach. Running out to welcome them back and asking what they needed: “Water, food, fresh pair of legs” were common requests.

When my shift ended I went back to the Start/Finish I though for just for a few hours to see Al and Farra complete another loop but decided to stay. By the time I did go home I’d been awake 41hrs, having got up at 6AM Friday morning for work (yes, much to your surprise I do work), and in bed 11PM Saturday. Dawn keep enquiring, “Why are you still hear?” but I was not willing to take the hint, it was such a blast being there and drinking in all the action, as well as all the beer Matt A. kept plying me with, thanks Matt : )
Cassie finishing

Team Cassie
                                                                
Farra finishing - Can ya tell : )

...and receives a warm "Welcome Back"

Farra, Pacer Rick and Bling

Al Finishing
...and receives his warm welcome : )
 
Absent but not forgotten

...and some extra milage

N'Gai and an assortment of Bling

Winner Marc (17:17) and crew

Would you buy a second hand car from
this man? : )
 Slightly scary moment #1. A runner crashing through the Start/Finish AS having just completed 5 loops, dropping to the floor and exclaiming “You can’t send me out again, I’m done, don’t make me do it”. A volunteer quickly comes over and reassures him that if he doesn’t want to go out he doesn’t have to. Smile of relief.

Slightly scary moment #2. While at the Start/Finish AS I see a woman coming back down the incline back to the tent. Wrong way. I enquired “What’s the matter?”, instant melt down “I got lost for miles, I didn’t know where I was, I decided to double back”. I reassured her “We’ve all done that” but the tears continued. She waited for her husband and off they went. I saw them both finish. She still bagged a 1st AG award.

Slightly scary moment #3. Seeing Farra’s feet at the end of 5 loops. No don’t make me tell. Report over.

I would like to run Hallucination 100 next year. It might be kinder on my feet : )













3 comments:

  1. Good race report, Andrew! Although I didn't volunteer, I'm glad to have been a part of the festivities and to be there when all those 100 milers came through the finish line. Farra and Al rocked it. And, none of them could have done it without the help of you and the other volunteers working through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy hearing your perspective!!! I wish I could have been out there running and helping - Tara and I had family staying with us all weekend for the baby :) It was fun tracking Ken & Mark at the Bear 100 and Steve at the Virgil Crest 100 on the internet. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see the action at Woodstock...I am grateful that you took notes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great report! And fun to hear it from your point of view.
    I'm really glad you didn't bag it early at Richie - gave me a lift every time I saw you. And, I'm really glad you stuck around at the end so I could be one of the lucky "strange" women to get a hug!!
    I had no "team" - no crew, no pacer... Just depending on the kindness of strangers - and all of the ultra volunteers delivered! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete